Monday, October 1, 2012

Uke #6, The Pablus ukulele

This is a uke that I made for another friend of mine, Pablus, who resides in the Tampa Bay area and is and amazing musician and front man of the tiki band, The Crazed Mugs (http://www.crazedmugs.com/). This one is made from mango wood. Mango has a suprising amount of color, figure and depth. I am still getting people who as for it based on this one uke. When Pablus and I were discussing the details of how his uke should look, he joked with me that I should carve a tapa cloth design into the headstock. I don't know if he was serious or not, but I thought about it long and hard and desided to create a veneer for the headstock that looked like tapa cloth. It took me forever to do, but eventually I created one out of maple, mahogany, and ebony.
Since then, Pablus honored and humbled me by shooting a video of himself playing the uke that I built for him. I owe him a huge debt of gratitude, because the video turned out wonderful and has been an amazing sales tool for me. THANK YOU, PABLUS!!!!

No comments: