Wednesday, February 13, 2013

#7, the first Mytle

This is a ukulele that I made for a woman, Sherry, from  the San Diego area. It is a Myrtle wood tenor with a Cedar soundboard,  Rosewood bindings, and a Macassar Ebony fretboard. I was very happy with how it turned out and, thankfully, so was she. Here is just a bit of the review she sent back to me,

"I got the uke about a half hour ago.  It arrived in perfect condition.  You did a great job!  I tuned it up and the intonation is excellent.  The workmanship is first rate.  The uke is loud.  I am impressed by how light it is – I've had a chance to play early ukes make by Joe Souza (Kanilea) and Kelii, and they were not as light or resonant as this uke.  I love the size – it's almost like a long neck concert which is great for me I don't like big bodied ukes.

It's really impressive how clearly the notes chime and separate on the upper frets, and the neck feels great.  I've got a couple of ukes that I got from a collector that are some famous makers, and this uke competes with them."

I really did feel as if I turned a corner on this build. It's not like it went together easily; it didn't. But I felt much more confident about the scope of what I was doing. I have really learned to like the sound of a cedar or spruce top. I love the high-end pop that they give, especially with Worth strings, which I am also having a love affair with.




Thanks again, Sherry!

No comments: